An annoyed Marc-Andre ter Stegen released a statement following the news that the Barcelona goalkeeper will undergo back surgery.
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
Ter Stegen out of action since mid-NovemberWill undergo back surgeryMight be sidelined until FebruaryWHAT HAPPENED?
The 31-year-old has been sidelined since November 12 and subsequently withdrew from the Germany squad for the international break due to the injury. He also missed recent matches for his club which saw Inaki Pena between the sticks against Rayo Vallecano, Porto, and Atletico Madrid respectively.
The decision for surgery comes as Ter Stegen has been experiencing lumbar pain and Barcelona issued a statement confirming the upcoming procedure on Tuesday.
AdvertisementWHAT BARCELONA AND TER STEGEN SAID
Barcelona put out a statement that read: "First team player Marc ter Stegen will undergo a surgical procedure this week to address the lower back issues he is experiencing. Following the procedure, a new statement will be given."
After the news broke, Ter Stegen took to his social media handle and wrote: "After intensive conversations with the medical team of the Club and various supporting experts, we decided to undergo a surgical procedure. The break obviously annoys me. It is the right and safe decision in order to come back in the best conditions for my Club @FCBarcelona and National Team @DFB_Team.
Getty ImagesTHE BIGGER PICTURE
The goalkeeper is expected to be out for approximately two months, creating a tight timeline for his potential return for the Champions League last 16 in February. He has played 17 games so far this season, 13 in the league, and four in the Champions League, keeping eight clean sheets and conceding 15 goals. In his absence, Pena has been doing a tidy job between the sticks and kept a clean sheet against Atletico Madrid, helping the Blaugrana register a 1-0 win in their last league fixture.
Getty ImagesWHAT NEXT FOR BARCELONA?
Xavi rated Pena a "10-on-10" after his performance against Atletico which shows that the manager will trust the shot-stopper in the absence of Ter Stegen. "Inaki Pena is such an example. He trains hard and that’s why he performs the way he does. He gets ten out of ten for some extraordinary saves," he told reporters.
Barcelona will play four more games before the January transfer window opens. If Pena continues to impress then Barca might not dip into the market for a short-term replacement for Ter Stegen. His next test will be against high-flying Girona next Sunday at Montjuic.